Lap Band Dietitian Helen Bauzon has provided suggestions below (in red) to help improve the calorie content of the recipe below and to teach you how to make it more band friendly.
• 310ml (1 1/4 cups) milk (use low fat milk)
• 30g (1/3 cup) quick oats (Uncle Toby’s brand) (rolled oats are low GI which is better)
• 1 tbs sultanas
• 1 tbs chopped dried apricots
• Pinch of ground cinnamon
• 1/2 Granny Smith apple
• 1/2 banana, peeled, sliced (cut into small pieces of ½ tsp portion)
• 1 tsp brown sugar (do you really need it? Consider avoiding it as you have dried fruit)
Combine 185ml (3/4 cup) of the milk with the oats, sultanas, apricots and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Cook, uncovered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until the mixture comes to the boil.
Meanwhile, peel, core and coarsely grate the apple. Add to porridge and stir over low heat for 1 minute or until porridge thickens. Spoon into serving bowls. Top with banana and sugar, and serve with remaining milk.
Source: Australian Good Taste – August 2001, Page 96
Recipe by Michelle Southan
Photography by Mark O’Meara