Lap Band Dietitian Helen Bauzon has provided suggestions below (in red) to help improve the calorie content of the recipe below and to teach you how to make it more band friendly.
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 brown onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 3cm piece of ginger, grated
• 2 tablespoons red curry paste
• 400ml coconut milk (use carnation evaporated coconut milk instead to lower the caloric intake)
• 1 tablespoon fish sauce
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 400g pumpkin, peeled, cut into 2cm cubes
• 1 large kumara (orange sweet potato), peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
• 150g snow peas, sliced
• snow pea sprouts, optional
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Add onion, garlic, and ginger and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Add curry paste and cook for 2 minutes.
Stir in coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar, pumpkin, and kumara. Stir until well-combined, bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium, then simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until pumpkin and kumara are tender.
Add snow peas and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until bright green and tender. Serve topped with snow pea sprouts.
Source: Super Food Ideas – June 2003, Page 25
Recipe by Dixie Elliott
Photography by Steve Brown