Lap Band Dietitian Helen Bauzon has provided suggestions to help improve the calorie content of the recipe and below and to teach how to make it more band friendly. Cut all vegetables either prior to after cooking on your plate into small pieces to promote the 1 tsp bite per mouthful.
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 medium brown onion, chopped
• 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
• 500g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, chopped
• 4 cups chicken stock
• 300g broccoli, cut into small florets
• 100g green beans, trimmed, chopped
• 410g can baby corn, drained, thinly sliced diagonally
• 400ml can coconut milk
• 1 tablespoon fish sauce
• Fresh coriander sprigs and lime wedges, to serve
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Add curry paste. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add chicken. Stir to coat. Add stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through.
Add broccoli, beans, corn and coconut milk. Simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through. Stir in fish sauce. Sprinkle with coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges.
Source: Super Food Ideas – June 2011, Page 50
Recipe by Claire Brookman
Photography by Sue Ferris