Lap Band Dietitian Helen Bauzon has provided suggestions below (in red) to help improve the calorie content of the recipe below and to teach you how to make it more band friendly.
• 8 eggs, at room temperature
• 1/3 cup milk (Use low fat milk)
• 2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
• 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
• 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
• 1/4 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
• 20g butter
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 2/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
• Toasted crusty bread, to serve
Whisk eggs, milk, and salt and pepper in a jug. Combine tomatoes, onion, chilli, coriander, and salt and pepper in a bowl.
Melt half the butter and half the oil in a 24cm (base) non-stick frying pan over high heat until sizzling. Reduce heat to low. Pour in half the egg mixture. As egg starts to cook, use a wooden spoon to move mixture from outside of pan to centre, allowing uncooked egg to slip to outer edge of pan. Repeat until egg is golden.
Spoon half the tomato mixture over half the omelette. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Fold omelette over filling. Slide onto a plate. Repeat with remaining butter, oil, egg mixture and filling.
Season omelettes with salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread.
Source: Super Food Ideas – November 2004, Page 52
Recipe by Alison Roberts
Photography by Sue Ferris