Lap Band Dietitian Helen Bauzon has provided suggestions below (in red) to help improve the calorie content of the recipe below and to teach you how to make it more band friendly.
Please cut all portions of food prior to eating no larger than a 1cm cube.
- 2 x 250g punnets cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large red capsicum, quartered, de-seeded
- 1 red onion, quartered lengthways
- Olive oil spray, to grease
- 400g dried penne pasta
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x 400g can brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 80g baby spinach leaves
- 100g reduced-fat feta, crumbled
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place tomato, capsicum and onion in a single layer on trays. Lightly spray onion with oil.
- Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until tender. Remove capsicum from oven and transfer to a heatproof bowl. Return tomato and onion to oven and cook for a further 5 minutes. Set capsicum aside for 5 minutes to cool. Thickly slice.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain. Return to pan. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
- Add roasted vegetables, lentils, vinegar and spinach to pasta. Toss to combine. Divide among bowls. Sprinkle with feta. Season with pepper to serve.
Australian Good Taste – June 2005, Page 108
Recipe by Tracy Rutherford
Photography by Mark O’Meara