Helen Bauzon’s recommendations to make Lap Band Friendly Meal includes:
- Make sure the meal is eaten with a knife and fork to take 1 tsp mouthful portions at a time.
- Cut the egg up into smaller pieces
- 800g canned red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tbs tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbs torn flat-leaf parsley
- Place the beans in a large non-stick frypan over medium-low heat. Add the chopped tomatoes, honey, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then simmer for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, lightening the beans with a dash of water if needed.
- Meanwhile, fill a separate saucepan with 8cm water and bring to a very gentle simmer. Add the vinegar, then place 2 egg rings or taller cook’s rings in the water. One at a time, crack an egg into a small cup and gently slide it into a ring (this will help contain the whites during cooking). Poach eggs for 3-4 minutes for a soft yolk or until cooked to your liking, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Repeat with the remaining 2 eggs.
- Add most of the parsley to the beans and stir through. Divide the beans among 4 shallow serving bowls and top each with a poached egg. Scatter with the remaining parsley and some freshly ground black pepper.
Source Delicious. – April 2010 , Page 134
Recipe by Jill Dupleix