Lap Band Dietitian Helen Bauzon has provided suggestions below (in red) to help improve the calorie content of the recipe below and to teach you how to make it more band friendly.
• 1 tablespoon extra-light olive oil
• 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 2 x 400g cans whole peeled tomatoes
• 400g can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
• 600g ling fillets, cut into large pieces (cut into smaller pieces prior to cooking or on your plate prior to eating)
• 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add turmeric. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Reduce heat to low. Stir in tomatoes and 1 cup of cold water. Cover and bring to the boil. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Add beans and return to the boil. Add fish. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until fish is cooked through.
Spoon stew into bowls and sprinkle with coriander.
Source: Super Food Ideas – August 2007, Page 57
Recipe by Veronica Cuskelly
Photography by Louise Lister