Lap Band Dietitian Helen Bauzon has provided suggestions below (in red) to help improve the calorie content of the recipe below and to teach you how to make it more band friendly.
• 270ml can coconut cream (very high in fat, consider avoiding and increasing the amount of carnation evaporated coconut milk in total)
• 1 1/2 tablespoons green curry paste
• 2 x 400ml cans coconut milk (replace with carnation evaporated coconut milk)
• 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
• 1 tablespoon brown or palm sugar (no need to include)
• 500g perch fillets (or any firm, white-fleshed fish), cubed
• 4 kaffir lime leaves
• 230g can bamboo shoots, thinly sliced
• juice of 1 lime
Heat coconut cream in a wok over medium heat, stirring, for 8 minutes or until oil and cream separate. Add curry paste and cook a further 2 minutes.
Slowly stir in coconut milk, fish sauce and sugar. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until green oil comes to the surface.
Add fish, lime leaves and bamboo shoots. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir through lime juice. Serve topped with coriander leaves
Source: Super Food Ideas – August 2003, Page 49
Recipe by Alison Adams
Photography by Louise Lister