• 1 tbs vegetable oil
• 2 brown onions, finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, peeled, thinly sliced lengthways
• 2 x 7cm cinnamon sticks
• 3 large fresh green chillies, thickly sliced
• 1 tbs black mustard seeds
• 3 tsp ground cumin
• 3 tsp ground turmeric
• 500g butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 4cm pieces
• 305g (1 1/2 cups) dried brown or green lentils
• 1.25L (5 cups) vegetable stock
• 3 celery stalks, including leaves, coarsely chopped
• Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until soft. Add the cinnamon, chilli, mustard seeds, cumin and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
Add pumpkin, lentils and stock to onion mixture. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Add celery. Cook for 10 minutes or until lentils are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide curry among serving bowls.
Source: Australian Good Taste – April 2006, Page 94
Recipe by Michelle Noerianto
Photography by Ian Wallace