Lap Band Dietitian Helen Bauzon has provided suggestions below (in red) to help improve the calorie content of the recipe below and to teach you how to make it more band friendly.
• 2 cups (180g) rolled oats
• 3 cups (750ml) milk (use low fat milk)
• 300ml pure (thin) cream, (use evaporated carnation skim milk)
• 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
• Brown sugar apples (cut up in very small pieces size of ½ teaspoon or grate)
• 2 red apples, cored, cut into 1cm-thick wedges (cut up in very small pieces size of ½ teaspoon or grate)
• 2 tbs brown sugar (avoid, use natural sweetness from fruit)
• 2 tbs honey (avoid, use natural sweetness from fruit)
Place oats, milk, cream and vanilla pod and seeds in a saucepan over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until oats are tender and the mixture is thick and creamy (you can add a little more milk if becoming too thick).
For the brown sugar apples, place the apple, sugar and honey in a saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until apple is tender, golden and sticky.
Divide the porridge among four bowls (including one for Goldilocks!), top with apple, drizzle with honey syrup and serve.
Source: delicious. – July 2011, Page 106
Recipe by Jessica Brook
Photography by Brett Stevens