Lap Band Dietitian Helen Bauzon has provided suggestions below (in red) to help improve the calorie content of the recipe below and to teach you how to make it more band friendly.
Make sure the meal is eaten with a knife and fork to take 1 tsp mouthful portions at a time.
Preparation Time - 15 – 20 minutes
Ingredients (serves 10)
- 250g dried cous cous (consider quinoa if couscous clags up)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped (finely diced instead, easier to digest)
- 1 cup roughly chopped mint
- 1 cup roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and cracked black pepper
- Place the cous cous in a heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over it to cover by approximately 2cm. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside.
- After 5 minutes uncover the cous cous and add the oil and garlic, using a fork to break up the grains. Cool to room temperature then fold through the tomato, mint, parsley, green onions, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.