Lap Band Dietitian Helen Bauzon has provided suggestions below (in red) to help improve the calorie content of the recipe below and to teach you how to make it more band friendly.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 750g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into thirds
- 1 brown onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 lemongrass stem, trimmed, bruised, thinly sliced
- 1 small red chilli, de-seeded, thinly sliced
- 400ml can coconut milk ( use evaporated skim coconut milk instead)
- 15 fresh curry leaves
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- steamed jasmine rice, coriander sprigs and lime wedges, to serve
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add half the chicken. Cook, turning occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Add remaining oil to wok. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Add turmeric, curry paste, lemongrass and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Stir in coconut skim milk and curry leaves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Return chicken to wok. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is tender. Stir in coriander and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Spoon over rice and top with coriander sprigs. Serve with lime wedges.