Lap Band Dietitian Helen Bauzon has provided suggestions below (in red) to help improve the calorie content of the recipe below and to teach you how to make it more band friendly.
Please cut all portions of food prior to eating no larger than a 1cm cube.
- 2 quartered vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and cracked black pepper
- oil spray
- 1 sliced chorizo sausage
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (use low fat milk)
- torn basil leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place vine-ripened tomatoes on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil then sprinkle with salt and cracked black pepper. Bake for 15 minutes or until soft. Remove, cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat and spray with a little oil spray. Add chorizo sausage, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan, place on paper towel then cover with foil and set aside.
- Whisk together eggs and milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spray a large (20cm base measurement) non-stick frying pan with oil spray. Add the egg mixture. Cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until surface is set. Using a spatula, turn each side in so the omelette forms a square. Remove from heat and place on a serving plate.
- To serve, top the omelette with the chorizo and tomato and scatter with torn basil leaves. Serve immediately.
Source: Taste.com.au – May 2008, Page 12
Recipe by Kate Murdoch
Photography by Andrew Young