Gastric Band Dietitian Helen Bauzon recommends that you make the following small modifications to the recipe to make more Lap Band appropriate:
- Remove the strings of the green beans
- cut all other food items into small amounts to consume 1 tsp per mouthful chewed well
- 350g firm tofu
- 60ml (1/4 cup) kecap manis
- 4 French shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 small fresh red chillies, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 60ml (1/4 cup) peanut oil
- 3 Lebanese eggplants, cut into 5mm-thick slices (see note)
- 400g green round beans, halved
- 1cm-piece fresh ginger
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon tamarind puree
Cut the tofu in half lengthways, then cut into 1cm-thick slices. Combine the tofu and kecap manis in a bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to marinate. Process shallot, garlic, chilli and water in a small food processor until a smooth paste forms.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Cook the tofu, in 2 batches, for 1 minute each side or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
Wipe wok clean. Add remaining oil to wok. Heat over high heat. Add the eggplant and stir-fry for 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Reduce heat to medium. Add green beans and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until just tender.
Add the shallot mixture and ginger. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Add tofu, water, sugar and tamarind puree. Simmer for 2 minutes or until the sauce is thick. Discard ginger. Season with salt.