Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 750g gravy beef, trimmed, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon Mexican chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup salt-reduced beef stock(replace with low fat stock)
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 400g can no-added-salt red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- Steamed rice and fresh
- Coriander leaves, to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based, flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
Heat remaining oil in dish. Add onion, garlic and capsicum. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Return beef to dish. Add flour, chilli and ground coriander. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Stir in stock, tomato and 1 cup cold water. Cover dish. Bring to the boil. Transfer to oven. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Stir in kidney beans. Bake for 30 minutes or until beef is tender. Serve with rice and coriander.
You could cook the casserole at 160C/140C for 3 hours. You could use beef chuck, skirt, topside or blade instead of gravy beef.
Sources – Super Food Ideas