If this salad is eaten post your Lap Band surgery, all you need to do is cut this into very small pieces to support the portion control per mouthful.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 medium (about 360g) organic carrots (Absolute Organic brand), peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 85g (1 1/4 cups) fresh bean sprouts, washed, dried
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons finely grated fresh organic ginger (Absolute Organic brand)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (avoid during the pre-surgery Optifast phase)
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Step 1 Place sesame seeds in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from heat and set aside.
Step 2 To make the dressing, combine the lemon juice, peanut oil, sesame oil, ginger and sugar in a jug. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Step 3 Place the toasted sesame seeds, carrot and bean sprouts in a medium bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and gently toss to combine. Divide salad among bowls and serve immediately.
Australian Good Taste – February 2004 , Page 60, Recipe by Caroline Griffiths