Lap Band Dietitian, Helen Bauzon recommendation to make healthier and or more band friendly highlighted in red.
• 10 round (15cm-diameter) flour tortillas
• 6 bacon rashers, rind and excess fat trimmed, thinly sliced crossways
• 12 eggs, lightly whisked
• 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream (replace with evaporated skim milk carnation milk or avoid using it)
• Salt & freshly ground black pepper
• 20g butter or margarine or spray oil
• 120g (1 1/2 cups) coarsely grated cheddar
• 4 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 160°C. Wrap the tortillas in foil. Place in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until hot.
Meanwhile, heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
Whisk together egg and cream in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Melt butter in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat until foaming. Add egg mixture and use a flat-edged wooden spoon to gently push the egg mixture, scraping the spoon along the base of the pan, from 1 side to the other in 4 different directions. Repeat pushing action every 10 seconds, including around the edge of the pan, to prevent egg sticking. Cook for 5 minutes or until three-quarters of the egg mixture is cooked, but mixture is still creamy and slightly liquid. Remove from heat. Stir in the bacon.
Transfer scrambled eggs to a warm serving bowl. Garnish with a little of the cheese and green shallot. Serve immediately with hot tortillas and the remaining cheese and green shallot.
Australian Good Taste – August 2004, Page 58
Recipe by Tracy Rutherford
Photography by Ian Wallace