Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 800g gravy beef, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 carrot, peeled, halved, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Soft polenta (or replace with pre-prepared polenta)
- 2 cups milk (use low fat milk instead)
- 1 cup polenta
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
Place flour and beef in a snap-lock bag. Seal. Shake to coat. Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add half the beef. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery to pan. Cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Return beef and juices to pan. Add parsnip, rosemary, stock, tomato paste and vinegar. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Remove lid. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until beef is tender.
Meanwhile, make soft polenta: Combine milk and 2 cups cold water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Gradually add polenta, stirring. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring, for 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese.
Add basil to casserole. Stir to combine. Serve casserole with polenta.
Super Food Ideas – June 2008, Page 62
Recipe by Cathie Lonnie